Before heading out for a drive, you never overlook the importance of carrying your Nissan key fobs, do you? These compact yet invaluable electronic devices greatly enhance your convenience and contribute to the safety of your vehicle in various ways. But what should you do when the battery in your Nissan key fob runs out?
Well, the most common culprit is a depleted fob battery. Many individuals are curious about the process of changing the battery in a Nissan key fob. If you’re among them, you’re in luck, as this article will provide a comprehensive guide on replacing the Nissan key fob battery. Additionally, it will offer some helpful tips on how to start a Nissan when your key fob’s battery is dead, just in case you’re unable to change the battery right away. So, let’s get started!
A 5-Step Guide to Replacing the Battery in Your Nissan Key Fob
Changing the battery in your Nissan key fob is a straightforward process that can be accomplished with common household items or items readily available at your local hardware store. Here are the five simple steps you need to follow:
- Retrieve the Hidden Metal Key: Begin by taking your Nissan key fob and extracting the concealed metal key. This hidden key is designed to unlock your vehicle’s driver’s door. You can release it by applying slight pressure on the small release mechanism.
- Separate the Key Housing: Use a plastic wedge or a small screwdriver to carefully separate the key housing from the fob.
- Remove the Old Battery: Take out the old, depleted battery, but be sure to remember its orientation within the fob.
- Install the New CR2025 Battery: Insert the new CR2025 battery into the same position as the old one, ensuring that the negative side of the battery is facing you.
- Reassemble the Key Fob: Reassemble the Nissan key fob in the reverse order of disassembly. It’s important to test the fob afterward to ensure that everything is functioning correctly.
If you prefer a visual guide, you can watch the video linked below for further assistance.
Starting a Nissan with a Depleted Key Fob: A Simple Guide
Sometimes, replacing the battery in your Nissan key fob isn’t possible right away. In such situations, you can still access and start your car using the key fob’s backup key. Here’s how to utilize the alternative key:
- Locate the Backup Key: Flip the key fob and identify the small release button. Press this button to extract the emergency key hidden at the base of the fob.
- Unlock the Driver’s Door: Use the emergency key to unlock the driver’s door of your Nissan.
- Starting with the Key Fob Port: Check if your Nissan is equipped with a key fob port. If so, insert the fob into the port and simultaneously press the brake or clutch as you engage the START/STOP button.
- Starting Without a Key Fob Port: If your car doesn’t have a key fob port, press the brake or clutch while placing the key against the START/STOP button.
The engine should start promptly, allowing you to drive your Nissan even with a dead key fob.
How to Program a Nissan Intelligent Key Fob
Many individuals, especially new vehicle owners, often inquire about programming the intelligent key fob. The process is straightforward. Here’s a step-by-step guide:
- Lock the Doors: Start by entering your car and locking all the doors.
- Ignition Key Insertion: Place the key in the ignition without starting the car. Remove the key and repeat this process until the hazard lights flash twice, indicating that the car is in programming mode.
- Electronic Activation: Insert the key into the ignition again, without starting the car, and turn it so that the electronics become active.
- Key Fob Programming: Press any button on the Nissan intelligent key fob.
- Testing: Exit the car and test the key fob. If the lights flash when you press the key, you’ve successfully programmed the intelligent key. Congratulations!
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q: What type of battery does a Nissan key fob use? A: Commonly, Nissan key fobs use batteries like CR2032 or CR2025, which can also serve as a 2018 Nissan key fob battery replacement.
Q: How can I start my Nissan if the keyless intelligent remote fob battery has died? A: You can initiate manual start by inserting the key fob into the designated port.
Q: Can I program a new key fob by myself? A: You can program the key fob to unlock the door independently. However, programming for starting may require specific tools.
Q: How can I protect my worn Nissan key fob remote? A: Consider using Nissan Remote Key Fob Covers to shield the buttons and the fob itself from water damage or accidental drops.
Now that you know how to change the battery in a Nissan key fob, remember not to panic when faced with a dead battery. Simply follow the easy steps outlined here. If you encounter any difficulties, there are servicing shops available to assist you for a nominal fee.