What Is Ford MyKey?
Ford MyKey is an advanced safety system developed by MyKey Technologies, designed to provide enhanced control and security for select vehicles in the Ford Motor Company lineup.
This innovative technology enables vehicle owners to remotely lock and unlock their cars via a smartphone app, offering added convenience and peace of mind.
Ford MyKey goes beyond remote access; it empowers drivers to set specific driving restrictions on their vehicles, making it particularly valuable for parents or guardians responsible for inexperienced or teenage drivers. This feature can promote safe driving habits and encourage responsible behavior on the road.
In addition to its driving restriction capabilities, Ford MyKey offers various benefits, including theft prevention and hazard alerts, ensuring drivers remain aware of their surroundings at all times.
For instance, some Ford models equipped with MyKey can prevent the vehicle from starting until seat belts are fastened, adding an extra layer of safety.
By providing control and convenience, Ford MyKey is a comprehensive tool that enhances everyday driving safety and ease of use. To activate and customize MyKey features, parents or vehicle owners can work with their Ford dealer to establish a unique access code.
How Does Ford MyKey Operate?
Ford MyKey operates by accessing a vehicle’s onboard diagnostics (OBD) port, a common feature found in modern vehicles used for diagnosing issues. This port is typically located beneath the dashboard.
Accessing the vehicle’s telematics system usually involves removing a cover, often located in the engine compartment near the battery, where metal plugs are positioned under or behind a rubber seal. A USB drive is then utilized to establish a connection between the vehicle and a computer through a standard USB port, facilitating diagnostics and programming.
Ford MyKey seamlessly integrates with these systems to exercise control over specific driving functions, including seatbelt reminders and, in certain cases, speed limitations applicable off-road or in areas with reduced speed limits.
Key features of Ford MyKey include:
- Time and Speed Limits: Users can set time constraints and speed restrictions on vehicles equipped with MyKey. This includes configuring speed limits that trigger notifications during acceleration and braking.
- Temporary Disabling: While the vehicle is in motion and the key is in the driver’s possession, a temporary MyKey button press can disable certain driving functions.
- Entertainment Restrictions: MyKey allows drivers to restrict entertainment features while driving, including radio and phone usage.
- Security Features: While parked, MyKey can be used to set door locks and configure reminder alarms.
- Customizable Settings: MyKey enables drivers to adjust settings for speed, volume, seat and mirror positions, and engine block heater usage with ease. There are four levels of restriction that can be selected to tailor the MyKey experience. The highest level can be unlocked by simultaneously pressing the brake pedal and accelerator.
- Remote Monitoring: Ford’s MyKey system also provides the capability to remotely monitor vehicle behavior through an interface on Ford’s official website. This feature allows users to track whether MyKey is active while any registered keys are in use for a particular vehicle type and model year, making it especially useful for parents monitoring their teenagers’ driving habits.
Ford Vehicles Equipped with MyKey
The MyKey feature is available in several Ford vehicles. Here is a list of Ford models that come equipped with MyKey:
- 2015 Ford Escape S Four-cylinder
- 2015 Ford Fusion Four-cylinder
- 2015 Ford Fusion SE V6 Four-cylinder
- 2015 Ford Mustang EcoBoost V6 Four-cylinder
- 2016 Ford Focus SE Four-cylinder
- 2016 Ford Mustang GT V8 (including the Shelby GT350)
- 2016 Ford Taurus SHO V8 (including the Shelby GT500)
- 2017 Ford F-150 Raptor SuperCrew Cab–4×4 MY17 & Earlier, Regular Cab – MY18 & Later
- Ford Fiesta
- Lincoln MKZ
- Lincoln MKX
- Lincoln Continental
Understanding the Ford MyKey Admin Key
The Ford MyKey Admin Key is a unique feature found in newer vehicles equipped with MyKey functionality. It resembles a standard Ford key and can be mounted on your car’s steering column or dashboard. The purpose of the admin key is to override all restrictions set by MyKey, providing a way to disable these limitations.
Here’s how the Ford MyKey Admin Key works:
- Appearance and Function: The admin key looks and functions like a regular key, with the key holder having the ability to deactivate MyKey restrictions.
- Disabling MyKey: To disable MyKey restrictions, simply press the admin key’s button with a paper clip or a small tool. This action deactivates the admin key, allowing the driver to use the vehicle without MyKey limitations.
- Visual Indicator: When the admin key is removed, a red LED light indicates that the vehicle has been registered with MyKey.
- Replacement: If you choose to remove the admin key permanently, you can place it in its pouch and return it to your dealer for a free replacement.
No Clear MyKey Option? Don’t Worry!
If your vehicle doesn’t have a clear MyKey option or you wish to remove MyKey restrictions, there’s no need to worry. You can still access MyKey features using your standard key.
Here’s what to do if your key is labeled “Admin” and you want to remove MyKey restrictions:
- New Key: You can bring your vehicle back to the manufacturer or dealer to obtain a new key without Ford MyKey restrictions.
- Self-Removal: Alternatively, you have the option to remove MyKey restrictions yourself, allowing you to use the key with no limitations.
In either case, you have flexibility in managing the MyKey feature based on your preferences and needs.
How to Disable MyKey Without an Admin Key: Step-by-Step Guide
Disabling Ford MyKey is a relatively straightforward process that can be accomplished without an admin key. Here’s a step-by-step guide to help you disable MyKey:
Using the Car’s Display Screen
- Start by unlocking the vehicle and inserting the key into the ignition.
- Access your car’s display screen and navigate to the “Settings” menu.
- Select “MyKey” from the menu options.
- Look for the “Clear MyKey” option and choose it.
- Hold down the “OK” button until the screen displays a message indicating that the MyKey has been cleared.
Using FORScan (Alternative Method) If the above method doesn’t work, you can use FORScan, but you’ll need some tools and equipment:
- FORScan software.
- A programmed MyKey.
- Unlock the vehicle and place the key in the ignition.
- Connect your car to FORScan and initiate the PCM KOER program. Wait for the program to start.
- If your car has keyless entry, remove the MyKey from the vehicle.
- For vehicles with a standard key, wrap the key fob in foil to block its signal, and then turn off the engine.
Accessing MyKey Settings
- Turn the key to the “On” position without starting the engine.
- Press the left arrow button on the steering wheel-mounted controls to access the menu.
Navigating to MyKey Settings
- Scroll through the menu options and select “Settings.”
- Within the “Settings” menu, locate and select “MyKey.”
- Look for the “Clear MyKeyPress” option and press the OK button repeatedly until you see the “All MyKeys Cleared” message.
Will Disconnecting the Battery Reset MyKey?
Disconnecting the battery will not reset MyKey to default settings. MyKey is computer-controlled and does not rely on the ignition state. To reset MyKey, you’ll need a replacement key or MyKey device. Contact your dealer or Ford Technical Support for assistance.
How to Bypass Ford MyKey’s Limited Volume
If you wish to bypass Ford MyKey’s limited volume, follow these steps:
- Start the engine and wait for the monitor to appear.
- Press the left arrow button on the steering wheel to access the main menu.
- Select “Settings.”
- Choose “MyKey.”
- Navigate to the volume limit feature and disable it using the arrow keys.
Cost of Resetting MyKey
Resetting MyKey can cost between $75 and $200, depending on your vehicle’s model year and the features you need to restore. This service is typically available at dealerships and service centers.
In conclusion, MyKey Ford is a valuable addition to your vehicle for safety and convenience. Disabling MyKey can be done following the provided instructions, but always prioritize safe driving practices and adhere to speed limits.