Having a car does not only offer a great pride, but also various problems to face. They vary from bad alternal, dead battery etc. Even when the car is in good condition, there is no guarantee that there will be no problem at all.
However, even though there are so many cars in this world, there are only a few of them who know what is actually going on with their vehicle, including the battery. Most people think that the battery is dead when there is a problem caused by it. Well, it may be correct, but sometimes the battery just have a bad connection with the automobile itself. When this happens, it is better for you to check the battery first before replacing it. You can try the following steps to make the battery terminal clean and run your car again:
- a. Turn off your car
- b. Pop your car hood
- c. Wearing safety gloves, try to find the battery.
- d. Loose the battery and don’t forget to have the terminal clips removed. Be sure that you have already loosen both the negative and the positive clips.
- e. Check the battery for any crack or damage before we can continue to the next steps. If there is any of them, replace the battery immediately and skip the other steps.
- f. Make a cup of baking soda mixture and use it to melt the collected residue of the battery acid on the terminal heads by pouring it over each terminal. If it does not work, take a toothbrush and use it to scrub the terminals.
- g. Take a clean cloth and use it to dry clean both the terminals and battery.
- h. Now, replace carefully the terminal clips. Make sure that you replace the positive clip first before the negative and use a wrench to tighten the clips to make a snug connetion.
- i. Turn on your car and it should be working.
The above is just general steps to clean the terminal heads. Some people or even you may have different solution, such as using coca cola or something else, but from my years of experience, I found that coca cola is less efficient than baking soda. It is also more sticky which makes me choose to use the baking soda. Additional, if nothing changes with your car, even after having those steps done, you may need to replace the battery.
For the final words, please remember that you will do these steps with your own risk.